Tuesday, January 22, 2013

40 years. . .

Today is the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.  For 40 years, American women have been legally able to abort their unborn babies.  I feel a mixture of anger and sadness when I think about the 55 million abortions that have taken place in that time.  55 million babies have not been able to breathe their first breath, take their first step, laugh, cry, on and on and on.  I believe that abortion on demand is this country's Holocaust.  Millions of Americans have been duped into believing that a woman has a right to choose whether or not the human growing inside of her has the right to the same life she has.  I have always been pro-life, but I am even more so now that I am a mother.

If you're reading this, you probably know my story.  My daughter Ruby was an unplanned pregnancy.  I wasn't married, and I was living in Mexico.  I specifically remember saying when I found out I was pregnant: "My life is over".  I had so many more plans for my life.  I know that must be a sentiment many girls and women feel when faced with an unplanned pregnancy.  Even as pro-life as I had always been, a little thought flitted through my mind: "I could just make this all go away. . . "  Immediately, I knew I could never do that, and I'm so glad I didn't.  Instead, I thought I would just marry my boyfriend at the time and live in Mexico the rest of my life.  Things unraveled quickly in our relationship; we broke up, and I returned to the U.S., facing life as a single mother.  I must have said a million times: "I can't do this!"  But the truth is I could do it; I can do it; I am doing it.  Ruby is 18 months old now, and I can't imagine life without her.  I never thought I would be a single mother, much less enjoy it, but Ruby is the best thing to ever happen to me.  She makes me laugh and smile every day, and I wonder how I was so blessed to be her mother.  God has given me the strength and courage to be a single mom.  I have a lot of support from my friends, family, and my church. 

I'm sharing this story because I wonder what it would be like if women who have gotten abortions could see what their life would be if they had chosen life instead.  Who would their baby have grown up to be?  Likely, they would have gotten so much joy out of watching their child grow up.  This is not to cast any kind of judgment on women who have gotten abortions.  I just wish they could know the joy that I know as a mother.  Yes, it's hard.  There are days when I still say "I can't do this!"  But I can, and I am, through God's grace and mercy.  Ruby's laughter and smiles are worth every difficult moment.  Even for women who don't have a supportive family like I do, there are all kinds of programs available for women facing unplanned pregnancies.  Every week during my pregnancy, I went to a crisis pregnancy center for counseling and encouragement.  Those ladies loved me and rejoiced with me when Ruby was born.

I know this is a controversial issue, and you may say that I am simplifying it.  If I could speak to a woman considering abortion right now, I would say "Don't just discard your baby because you think you can't do it.  You can.  If you really can't, there are so many others out there who can and who want to."  Life is never the wrong choice.

1 comment:

  1. Kinsey, this is beautifully put. As you {simply, but not simplifying} put it, "Life is never the wrong choice." But no one seems to understand the enormous treasure that life is.

    ReplyDelete